The Arts Faculty seeks to provide a variety of co-curricular opportunities to allow for both broader and more in depth engagement with the curriculum offerings of Drama, Media, Music and Visual Art.
The annual Arts evening Breathless showcases the best work from Arts classroom subjects from Years 7 to 12 and includes live performances, art exhibitions, film screenings, drama performances and dance performances and is usually staged in August.
The annual MAD Festival (Music, Art, Drama) showcases the best work from the Primary school Arts classes.
The Sydney Arts Tour is staged every second year for Senior Arts students and includes visits to major art galleries, performances, workshops and specialist Arts tours such as a backstage tour of the Sydney Opera House and allows students to engage in the Sydney Biennale staged at that time.
A full scale musical is staged every other year for students from Years 7 to 12
Annual and special competitions that are run both internally and externally are promoted for student development in every Arts subject and include the Creative Generations Visual Art awards, Score It music composition competition, Dance troupe Eisteddfods, interschool drama competitions, The Young Composer’s competition and more. In 2020, the Arts Faculty are staging an Isolated Arts Competition for all students from Years 5 to 12 and an online classroom music concert titled “Isolated/Not Isolated”.
Projects and events vary from year to year and include but are not restricted to the following:
- The CHAC Dance troupe is run every second year in the musical ‘off’ year. It is an auditioned troupe that rehearses once per week and performs at major College events and competes in a number of local dance competitions and eisteddfods.
- Students work with an Artist in Residence which varies each year to develop their performance skills and present a public performance.
- Students are encouraged to participate in various festivals and competitions run by Theatre Companies in Brisbane eg. Shake and Stir Shakespeare Festival.
- Evening excursions to live theatre performances.
- The High Resolves national student film making competition
- Queensland Music Festival Score It! Film music competitions
- Australian Society for Music Education Young Composers Competition
- Isolated/Not Isolated online music concert
- Evening visits to live music performances
Students are actively encouraged to participate in a number of Visual Art competitions working with a variety of media, from painting and drawing, to photography and filmmaking.
- Creative Generation Excellence Awards in Visual Art
- IEU Art awards
- Moran photo prize
- Excursions to galleries