As Friday 16 November draws near, I wish the Senior Class of 2018 every success now and for the future.
Receiving Your Year 12 Results
Year 12 students will receive their Senior Education Profile (SEP) from the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority in the post from Monday 17 December 2018. All results contributing to your Overall Position (OP), Field Positions (FPs) and Queensland Certificate of Education will be available in your Learning Account on the QCAA Student Connect website from 9am on Saturday 15 December 2018. You must activate your Student Connect Account before you leave CHAC on 16 November. To activate your account, you must have your Learner Unique Identifier (LUI Number) and default password (day and month of birth – example 16 November = 1611). When you first access your Student Connect Account you will be prompted to change your password, provide an email address (not your school email) and answer some security questions. If you are unsure of how to proceed/respond to any of the above advice, please see me at the Learning Pathways office or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have all QTAC documents and numbers in a safe place?
- Your QTAC Guide
- A copy of your QTAC preferences
- Your QTAC password
- Your QTAC reference number
- Your LUI number and Student Connect Account password.
If you are heading overseas during the Christmas break you should take these items with you.
Please ensure that you have easy web access to:
- QTAC major offer-round dates and other possible offer-round dates (check the Course Offer Dates on the QTAC website regularly)
- The last date you can change preferences for the major offer round in January 2017 (see Key Dates and Fees on the QTAC website).
It is also important to check your email regularly for QTAC updates. Early offers will have, in most cases, a four-day window of opportunity in which you must respond! Please ensure that QTAC has your current contact details. You must notify QTAC immediately if you change your address or any other contact details to continue to ensure you receive all QTAC correspondence. You can update your address and contact details on your application through the QTAC website > Check & change. You must also inform the Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority of address changes to ensure delivery of your senior results by post.
University information sessions after you receive your Year 12 results
Most universities hold information sessions in December for students who have received their Year 12 results and are reviewing their QTAC preferences and/or deciding on their future direction. These include:
- Australian Catholic University – Know Your Options Information Session on Saturday 15 December 2018 from 2pm to 4pm at 1100 Nudgee Road, Banyo.
- CQ University – Change of Preference and drop in session at 160 Ann Street, Brisbane City from 9am to 1pm on Monday 17 December 2018.
- Queensland University of Technology - Real Decisions at P Block, Gardens Point Campus from 9am to 1pm on Tuesday 18 December 2018.
- University of Queensland - OP Results Advice Night from 3pm to 6pm on Monday 17 December 2018 at the St Lucia campus.
- Griffith University Explore Your Options chat online on Saturday 15 December from 9am to 2pm and/or Monday 17 to Thursday 20 December 2018 9am to 2pm.
Tax File Numbers
If you do not have a Tax File Number (TFN), please ensure that you apply right now! You must have a TFN to apply for Commonwealth Government loans (e.g. HECS, FEE-HELP, VET Student Loan) when you enrol at a university, TAFE or accredited private college after you receive a QTAC offer. Visit the Australian Taxation Office website for information on obtaining a TFN.
Vocational Pathway Students
If you complete Year 12 in 2018 and require assistance finding your career pathway, these are a few of the options:
- Face to face workshops or individual career pathway information, including career assessment and advice on government initiatives and funded training opportunities – email email@example.com
- Free Training for Year 12 graduates
- Apprenticeship and Traineeship information
- Certificate 3 Guarantee (C3G) – over 160 high priority Certificate III qualifications – search at http://www.skillsgateway.training.qld.gov.au/.
- Higher-Level Skills – the higher-level skills program provides a government subsidy to support eligible individuals to access subsidised training in selected Certificate IV or above qualifications and priority skill sets.
- Skilling Queenslanders for Work (SQW) – Skilling Queenslanders for Work training projects help job seekers gain the skills, qualifications and experience they need to enter and stay in the workforce.
- Queensland Skills Gateway – for information on occupations including training and skills required.
- VET Student Loans (Australian Government) – VET Student Loans is an Australian Government loan program that helps eligible students pay their tuition fees.
Tools to assist with finding a job – Preparing for work
- An up-to-date resume and cover letter
- Tax file number
- Driver’s licence – may be required for some jobs
- Bank account
- Appropriate interview and work clothing.
- Career quiz – This quiz will help you to understand your work style and will suggest some career options you might enjoy.
- My future
- Job Jump Start Tips and ideas – tips and ideas about jobs and careers (ie resumes, interview skills, job search)
Where to look for jobs
When you finish school, register with a Job Active provider to have your eligibility assessed for Youth Allowance. Job Active providers will also help you prepare for, search and find a job. Search for a provider under the Job seekers tab.
- Australian Apprenticeship Network Support (AASNs) – Provides free Australian Apprentice Support Services to apprentices and employers. These are four AASNs based in Queensland. Services may vary but most offer job vacancy lists and recruitment services: Apprenticeship Support Australia; Busy at Work; MEGT and MRAEL.
- Group Training Organisations (GTOs) – If you are keen to do an apprenticeship or traineeship but cannot find an employer, this may be another option for you.
- Year 12 School Leavers Strategy – School leavers can receive free information on state-subsidised programs and services outlined in this booklet oy texting YES to 0476 850 648.
More useful links
For comprehensive coverage of all careers news visit the CHAC Careers Website.
Learning Pathways Counsellor