Thank you to all those CHAC families who responded to the call for host families for our visiting Japanese students in March next year. We are still looking for a few more families.
Please note that you don’t need to speak Japanese to host a student as they are coming here to practise their English, so if you are interested in having first-hand experience of an international exchange, please consider taking in a student from Japan.
The dates for the visit from Seiryo high school are March 11 to March 21, 2019.
During their time at CHAC, the Japanese students attend specialist English conversation classes every day and are integrated into some regular CHAC classes. They also get involved in activities with our language students and participate in an excursion to Southbank during their stay.
The role of the host families is to provide a welcoming environment and:
- accommodation (their own room) and three meals per day
- safe travel to and from College each day (students may not travel alone, but can travel by bus or train with your child)
- encouragement to practise speaking English.
Please note, if your child does before- or after-school sports training or music ensemble practice, the Japanese student simply goes with them. You don’t need to do separate pick-ups or drop-offs.
All members of the household over 18 will need to hold or apply for a Blue Card (some assistance is available with this process).
Host families are supported by:
- Pre-tour meeting with the tour coordinator
- Bilingual support staff in attendance each day
- 24-hour emergency phone contact (bilingual)
- Payment to assist with reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses.
If you are interested, or have any queries in relation to the program, please email Ms Nakamura email@example.com stating your child/children’s year level in 2019 and your best email and phone contact details. If you have a strong preference for hosting a boy or a girl, please include that information too.
Coordinator: Japanese, Languages Education Faculty