Children across the city will discover the joys of reading when the 2019 Gold Star and Little Stars Reading Club programs commenced in Council libraries on Wednesday 1 May 2019.
The Gold Star Reading Club (ages six to 12) is designed to encourage and develop reading and literacy skills in children.
There are four great reasons for children to get involved in the 2019 Gold Star Reading Club:
- Membership to the Gold Star Reading Club is FREE!
- The Gold Star Reading Club can help children improve their reading and literacy skills.
- Children will be rewarded for reading with exciting monthly incentives – a library bag, coloured pencils and shoelaces.
- It’s FUN! Children will have fun sharing their reading experiences with family and friends
How the program works – it’s easy and free!
- The Gold Star Reading Club is a three-month program for children aged 6-12 years.
- Register for the Gold Star Reading Club at your local library. Your child must be a library member to join Gold Star – library membership only takes a couple of minutes and is free. Each child’s parent or guardian must bring photo identification (i.e. driver’s licence or passport) and proof of their address to any Council library, and you and your child can become members in a matter of minutes. It’s that easy.
- Gold Star members will receive a Gold Star Reading Club pocketbook that includes a progress chart.
- By reading just three books of their choice each month before recording the details in their pocketbook, children can collect nine gold stars and monthly incentives.
- Children who collect all nine gold stars are eligible to:
* attend their local Gold Star Reading Club awards ceremony with their families
* receive a medallion and a certificate of achievement.
For more information about the Gold Star Reading Club, visit your local library or call Council on 07 3403 8888.